Skip to main content

Search and Top Navigation

#6234 closed bug (wontfix)

Opened October 27, 2010 12:45PM UTC

Closed September 16, 2011 06:02PM UTC

Position: Elements with top or left set to "auto" are positioned incorrectly in Opera

Reported by: neverov Owned by:
Priority: minor Milestone: 1.9.0
Component: ui.position Version: 1.8.5
Keywords: Opera Cc:
Blocked by: Blocking:

It seems that function position() from position.js works incorrectly in

Opera 10 (10.63 under linux and 10.53 under windows).

Test to reproduce:

    <script type="text/javascript" src=""></script>
    <script type="text/javascript" src=""></script>
    <div style="margin-left: 100px; margin-top: 200px; border: 1px solid blue; width: 200px;">
      <input type="text" id="my_input" value="test"/>
    <script type="text/javascript">
      var options = {my: "left top",
                     at: "left bottom",
                     collision: "none"};
      $('<div style="border: 1px solid black; width: 100px;">test</div>')
        .position($.extend({of: $('#my_input')}, options));

The div with text 'test' should be placed right under the input field.

In Opera it is placed far below the input field.

A script in the test emulates functionality of autocomplete widget,

which also does not work properly in Opera (autocompletion's <ul> placed

in the left top corner of document, not under the input field).

Attachments (1)
  • sample_opera_10.63.png (76.4 KB) - added by yaegor October 28, 2010 07:48AM UTC.

    Provided example rendered in Opera 10.63 (Windows Vista) and FireFox 3.0.19

Change History (12)

Changed October 27, 2010 12:55PM UTC by neverov comment:1

I checked it again and it turns out that plain autocomplete works fine, but problem with position exists anyway.

Changed October 27, 2010 01:26PM UTC by scottgonzalez comment:2

resolution: → worksforme
status: newclosed

I'm getting the correct results in Opera 10.63.

Changed October 28, 2010 07:51AM UTC by yaegor comment:3

resolution: worksforme
status: closedreopened

I have this reproducing: see attached sample_opera_10.63.png which is the provided sample HTML opened in Opera 10.63 and also in FireFox as a comparison.

Changed October 28, 2010 12:15PM UTC by scottgonzalez comment:4

milestone: TBD1.9

I just confirmed that I am seeing exactly what's in your screenshot. I have no idea what was going on yesterday, I was getting a different result, but it was consistent across all browsers.

Changed October 28, 2010 12:19PM UTC by neverov comment:5

Scott, it seems like commit eab0a6dac13b642a870747249a360bdddb39da99 contains a fix for the issue.

Changed October 28, 2010 12:41PM UTC by scottgonzalez comment:6

Replying to [comment:5 neverov]:

Scott, it seems like commit eab0a6dac13b642a870747249a360bdddb39da99 contains a fix for the issue.

That's unrelated; there's no confusion about whether or not we're a window in this case.

Changed October 28, 2010 12:42PM UTC by scottgonzalez comment:7

This is a bug in jQuery core where .offset() thinks that the element being positioned has a top of "221px" instead of "auto".

Changed October 28, 2010 01:02PM UTC by scottgonzalez comment:8

Changed October 28, 2010 01:39PM UTC by neverov comment:9

Scott, thanks for investigation.

While debugging page with autocomplete widget I noticed that

in jquery.ui.position() contains field 'document' in

Opera and doesn't contain it in other browsers. So in all browsers

autocomplete's <ul> was positioned right under input element and in

Opera - in the top left corner of the page. In the commit

a0847f3a08dfc259d8ba7f6ba7da16653cf15183 you removed check for the

field 'document' and now <ul/> is placed correctly. Just FYI.

Changed October 28, 2010 02:07PM UTC by scottgonzalez comment:10

Thanks for the info neverov.

Changed March 21, 2011 04:56PM UTC by scottgonzalez comment:11

summary: Bug in position.js with Opera 10.63Position: Elements with top or left set to "auto" are positioned incorrectly in Opera

Changed September 16, 2011 06:02PM UTC by scottgonzalez comment:12

resolution: → wontfix
status: reopenedclosed

This is fixed in newer versions of Opera and we no longer support the versions that have the broken behavior.